What Lies Beyond: Chapter 29



“Does that feel good?”
“Oh Lay, that's amazing” he purred, closing his eyes.
“You're so tense”, she said, sitting behind him and kneading his shoulders with her paws. “Just try to relax.”
“I'm feeling much more relaxed now”, he said, leaning back and resting his head on her chest. He reached up and put his paws around her neck.
“That's good”, she chuckled, gently scratching his chest with her paws, “I want you to feel good.”
“And how are you feeling?” he replied.
“Better than I have in as long as I can remember” she sighed happily.
“I'm glad”, he said, looking up at her. “Everyone else has been so dreary lately. It's so nice to see a smiling face.”
She gave him a warm smile and eased him down onto his back so his head was resting in her lap. Her fur was so soft her legs might as well have been a cushion, and he felt totally content lying there with her. “Comfy?” she asked, rubbing his cheek.
“Very.”
She continued stroking his body with her paws for a little while, purring softly as she did so. “I'm happy we're finally able to spend time together like this.”
“Me too. I was so wrong about you, Lay.” She gently slipped out from under him and sat beside him, leaning in close so her face was close to his. “I used to think you were totally self-absorbed, but you're not. You're wonderful.”
“Mm, tell me about how wonderful I am”, she said, grinning widely and puffing the fur on her cheek with her paw.
“You're kind, you're dependable, you're trustworthy...” Her face seemed to light up with each compliment, so he tried to think of more. “Smart, nice to be around, soft...”
She crawled over him, her fluffy tail held proudly aloft. “...and beautiful?”
“Amazingly beautiful.” He actually wasn't sure what she meant by that, but he could tell how much she wanted to hear it. The moment the words left his lips, her expression changed, her eyes narrowed, her smile grew even wider, and she leaned in so close that their noses were almost touching. He wrapped his paws around her. “So what about me?” he asked playfully. “Don't I get to hear what you like about me?”
She didn't even need a moment to think about it: “You're dashing, brave, courageous, caring, exciting, heroic, and the most loyal friend anyone could ever have. I've been waiting as long as I can remember for someone like you, and I want you as intensely as a woman can want a man.”
“You're better at this than I am”, he laughed sheepishly.
“I'll teach you everything”, she whispered. Her nose was touching his now, her radiant green eyes staring right into his.
Corsair closed his eyes and nuzzled her. “A lot of bad things have happened lately, but at least it brought us together. I wouldn't want to go back to how things were if it meant we'd go back to hating each other.”
“Oh Corsair.” She leaned forward to kiss him. He wrapped his paws around her and pulled her body close to his, and returned her kiss with everything he could muster. They kissed again and again as he caressed her and held her close.
Finally, she pulled away from him, staring at him through such heavily lidded eyes that he could barely see the green anymore. “Are you ready?”, she asked, in a soft, tender voice that was very much unlike how she usually spoke. He nodded. Whatever came next, he knew he wanted to share it with her.
She leaned forward to kiss him one last time, longer and more intensely than the others, then positioned herself above him and took him inside her.

Nothing he had ever experienced prepared him for what came next. A hundred confusing emotions danced across his mind, but as he stared into her warm, smiling face, they all merged into a single comforting feeling that was more powerful than any he had ever known. His pain and fear seemed to melt away, and he gave her everything, lost for a moment in a place where nothing mattered but them.

---

“Corsair”, Lay whispered, after it was all over. “You were everything I'd always hoped you'd be.”
“I never imagined I could feel like that”, he admitted, holding her tight. “You really are incredible.”
She laughed and buried her face in his chest. “So are you.”
He gently ran his paw along the soft fur on the back of her head, still marvelling at what they had just shared. He had no idea something like that even existed. He had felt some strange things before when he was with Sister or Sabre, but he never would have thought to try something like that. He smiled happily, holding her close to his heart. Ever since Sister came back with that strange message, he had learned so much. The world was so much bigger than he had ever imagined, and all he had to do was trust in people and be open to what they had to teach him. He couldn't wait to to share this with his friends, maybe Sister would finally smile again.
“I should probably get back and check on the others” he said, kissing her. “Thanks so much for this.”
He started to get up, but she clung tightly to him. “Oh, they'll be okay for one night. Stay here with me. We've only just found each other.”
“All right”, he said, snuggling back down with her. He didn't want to leave her, either, so it was easy to give in. This time, he was the one kissing her, as passionately as he could, the feeling that he felt before overwhelming all of his senses. He knew now what she had meant when she said she wanted him, right now the one thing he wanted most was to be with her.
“I'm surprised”, she said softly, staring deep into his eyes. “I've always wanted you, but I never really thought you'd choose me. I'm so happy, Corsair.”
“What do you mean?”
“I always thought it was Sister you cared for this way. You two were always so close, and I felt so jealous of her. It seems silly now.”
Corsair's heart sank into his stomach and he felt like he would be sick. “Oh no”, he tried to say, but nothing came out. It was as though his throat had completely closed up.
“Anyway,” she said, smirking confidently, “I know you're still new to this, but I guarantee I can get you going again, and we can do it a different way this time. Are you ready for round two?” She kissed him and began stroking him with her paws.
“I...can't do this.” He managed to say, weakly.
“Yes you can, trust me.” She grinned. “You'll be shocked at what you're capable of with the right help.” She was right, his body was ready for her, but in his heart he knew he couldn't possibly go through with it.
“No, please, stop”. It killed him to do it, but he gently pushed her away. She looked at him with a fearful look in her eyes, and that hurt just as much. “This is what Steven warned me about. The jealousy... I got caught up in the moment, but Sister... this'll kill her.” With every word he could see how much he was hurting her, and in the end he had to look away.
“So that's it, then.” she said, her eyes welling up with tears. “In the end, you would always choose her over me.”
“It's not like that-” He tried to explain.
“Of course it is. I'm not stupid. Or maybe I was, to think you might love me.” The tears were streaming out of her eyes now and she made no effort to hide them.
“Lay, please... I just can't...” Tears were starting to leak out of his eyes, too. He couldn't bear the thought of losing her, not now. Why did things always have to go this way?
“Do you think I haven't suffered too!?” She shouted at him, fiercely. “Do you think I don't have feelings?! That I'm not worth caring for?!”
“Of course not, I care for you more than I ever thought possible. I want nothing more than to be with you, but I can't hurt her any more. Please, try to understand.”
“Get out.” She growled bitterly. “I never want to see you again.”
He wanted to speak again, to tell her how much he cared for her and how much this had meant to him, but he couldn't find the strength. There was nothing left for him here, not anymore. With his head drooped, he walked towards the door and gently pushed it open. He turned to look back one more time at the broken woman he left behind him, and walked away.


No comments:

Post a Comment